Caleb, I am also not a military strategist... just a voter.

You seem to elevate Reagan as a great commander in chief. Why?

What attributes or results inform that opinion. Mind you.... this is not really military strategy as much as foreign policy!

I get flagged when you highlight words like... "must listen to the generals" usually that means... do what the current general in charge is spinning or you are not respecting the military.
I have a big problem with this.

Two points... we have lots of generals with a complete spectrum of views. (See GWB era... I need 300k.... versus... I need 100 k in troops) Cherry picking your general is FINE (see Lincoln) so long as you, as president, completely own the decision. (Did Bush own this FUBAR in Irag or Afgan?)

The buck stops with the president and you will be second guessed for eternity. You better grow a pair when you take hard choices that don't fit American folk lore. We venerate winning generals and neuter the loosers. We celebrate our colonization period where we could kick some a$$. (Remember. the trope we were fed as kids... America never loses a war... America never starts a war... but will damn well finish it) The president has to own the choice and so he damn better be ready. the modern world does not yield white flags and surrender ceremonies very often. (See Dayton but also see Korea)!

Trump causes a lot of upset when he opines that American soldiers don't win wars anymore. Really?... do you think the volunteer force and the generals he just appointed have f'd it up over the last 60 years since Truman?

given the number of generals now in charge and trumps record, speech and behavior... Its a good time to take a careful look at your assumptions!

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 02/27/17 04:46 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com