Originally Posted by brucat
The accuracy of votes (and potential of fraud to actually impact the outcome) should be a concern to everyone here. There have been crazy-tight results in several of the recent presedential races (virtual 50/50 ties, relying on electoral strategy), that I don't see how you seriously think this isn't a problem.

Mike

um... Accuracy and constitutionality of voting IS a shared concern. (that is why this debate is ongoing.

crazy-tight results is a FACT.

It is a complete and total failure of logic to conclude that..
"seriously think this isn't a problem. "

By your logic... the basketball game was for the championship (integrity is important given the impact).. the game was tight (a measurable fact)... it was decided by 1 POINT (The specific fact in this case). So Seriously... we have a problem with .... the score keeper, the last shooter.. the referee, the coach, etc etc etc or the existential question... DID the ball go through the hoop 97 times.... really?

What do you want to argue here? You Need to measure and prove a FACT.... not handwave.... with your "seriously think this isn't a problem argument"

STep one... Identify and measure the actual problem. How much voter fraud related to ID fraud is there, where and when and what is the rigor of proof?

Try again... WHAT is your balancing act between the two concerns. Constitutional integrity of voting AND undo burdens on voting.

Me... I think showing one form of records with your address in the district is sufficient. It preserves both integrity of voting and constitutional rights.

Me... I think showing TWO forms of records with your address in the district is more then sufficient... and you Could make the case that it is an unreasonable BARRIER in some circumstances. If its judged a barrier... then your constitutional right to vote is abridged.

Me... I think showing a PICTURE ID with your current address in the district is a BARRIER and moreover, solves no real problem. (AND I have data showing this fact disparate impact is in fact true)

If you had to travel 100 miles to update your FREE photo ID solely to vote... would that be a barrier to you... how about your 90 year old grand parent in a wheel chair who changed his address to a new retirement home? My point... EVEN FREE ID....is not the complete test of a barrier that takes away your constitutional right.

How about a deal? A government records certification site issueing picture IDs within 5 miles of every precinct voting station in USA AND a nationwide standard for the number of voting machines in each polling station.... I will then conclude that a photo ID is not a barrier.

PS... Who said/inferred you are a bigot/racist/supremacist? Why is it... that all discussion ends with one party deciding they were called a racist in so many words?

crac.sailregattas.com