Mike... this is a debate... I am not intending to insult you... I am challenging your position at the level of facts with respect to your belief that your position is constitutional and "American"...

My inferences are perhaps ugly... but follow from the argument and are an attempt to persuade you of the fall out from your position.

If you agree with Jake's set of facts... and then form an opinion after that.... I want to understand how you get there. What is the reasoning.. I may or may not agree... but first step is to understand what the reasoning you are using is. After this last election... I refuse to let fuzzy thinking pass.

Or you don't agree with Jakes facts... then I want to know what you are basing your opinion on. Data that I don't know about? Data that i don't find valid?, anecdotes from your part of the country?, fox news?, what ever... If your position is not supported by facts.... all I can do is point this out and note that its unprincipled and factually not supportable. (that is not paranoia or vitriol)

As I repeatedly note... its a free country... you stand for any principal and opinion on any basis you want... but... if you enter the debate... the game is ... you get to defend it. I suggested a range of other principled positions... some particularly odious. All of those principled positions don't speak to the AMERICAN Principle of voting/citizenship. So Why raise them? Not to insult you or infer that you support any of them. .... but to point out the basic requirement: Sure, you can SAY you hold the shared American principle, but presumably your argument on the voting issue is logical. A shared principle not supported by reality in facts or by action is a waste of energy (So... once again,... what is the logic in your position?)

So, please explain why you find this debate paranoiac or vitriolic? I draw harsh inferences and point them out... but that is NOT saying that is your position Its a debate the contrast is needed to focus the argument that a principled position is founded on facts supporting your principles... you get to counter and argue a position as well.!

Consider this alternative to principled voting.
My sister voted for trump.... when I asked why... she said... I don't know anything about any of these policies ... either Clinton or Trump... but I want a change and he is different. So, she makes no argument... she makes no pretense of standing on a principle of any kind... She makes no attempt to persuade or justify her vote on any principled ground.
So, if she is not standing on principle... she is voting a value. OK, what does she value in voting? The only value that she expressed was ... she values change? When you ask her... what change does she wants to see?.... She said... too many "poor black and uneducated white people" are now showing up in her hospital because of obamacare. I asked... what is the problem... Too many poor people?... or too much medical care?.... She had no thoughtful answer beyond both! AND that is OK!.. She just wanted a change... and to hope for "better" whatever that is. It doesn't have to make sense either... That is the thing about values... they are what they are... They are not persuasive,don't have to make a bit of sense or be based in reality (of course there is more of a chance they are shared values if based in reality) and what you value can change in an instant.

So, not much to debate with my sister and thus learn from her. She does not have a logical position... there is not much to learn from in her experience living in the country... and no chance that any argument of any kind could change her opinion.

Since, I know my sister from her beginnings... I was not surprised... Why did I bother?... Because, my civics education stressed responsibility to vote... and the other part... you must be responsible for your vote.. The point I make to my sister is... OK... I got it... you voted on what you value. So... you voted... that is half of your citizen responsibility. Good news!, you are responsible for Trump and his politics and actions going forward. (and if you did not vote... you are saying... whomever wins... well that is OK with you) All of us, trump voter, clinton voter and the feckless who did not vote or voted otherwise are responsible.

So, If Trump takes action on starting the torture process back up (as he repeatedly promised) ... He does it in the name of the USA and we are responsible. You can't wiggle out of responsibility for your vote. You have to own it...

So, while I may disagree with Obama on some decisions.... I understand his principles, hold most of them as well and I can argue from the facts in the real world, applying my principles and supporting my opinion and Obama's actions.

crac.sailregattas.com