Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
For Florida at least:
Approved forms of picture identification are:

Florida driver's license
Costs $48, requires passing several tests (eye exam, written, driving)

Florida identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Costs $25, requires proof of identity, a SSN and proof of FL residency

United States passport
Costs $110, requires proof of citizenship, valid ID, photos.

debit or credit card
Costs $0 (might have monthly charges), requires a bank account (which requires ID, etc.)

military identification
Requires being in the military

student identification
Requires being a student (paying tuition)

retirement center identification
Requires being in a retirement center ($$)

neighborhood association identification
Requires owning a home ($$$$$$)

public assistance identification
Requires being on public assistance, which requires completing a lengthy form and a SSN

veteran health identification card issued by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Requires having been in the military

license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm issued pursuant to s. 790.06
$112 fee, background check

an employee identification card issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the Federal Government, the state, a county, or a municipality (Section 101.043, F.S.)
Requires being a federal employee

Some of these forms of ID do not require money, only the time/effort to obtain it. Those not willing to spend that time/effort probably won't want to spend time voting either?

I'm a homeless person with no bank account who makes my "living" standing on a street corner with a "Help Me" sign and I spend my nights in a shelter. I'm too proud to be on public assistance - or maybe my reading skills aren't good enough to read the form. I watch the news on television at the shelter and I want to vote in the election. The State of Florida is preventing me from voting.

Your argument is invalid.